Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Are There Racial Divisions in the Columbus Nightlife??



THE STREET EVOL:EVOL LURKING ARE THERE RACIAL DIVISIONS IN THE COLUMBUS NIGHTLIFE??








The Beautiful and entertaining Capital City
Columbus Ohio
First off, let me clear the air and start out by saying that Columbus Nightlife can be exciting and filled with tons of gratifying experiences. Particularly for the hardworking Columbus native, trying to release some steam from the long work week. To the social enthusiast who must always be part of the scene & even to the late night munchie and Gyro or pizza fanatic.  We ALL can relate in some way or another. If not, you certainly can drive down particular parts on Columbus on Friday and Saturday nights and checkout 
the night Life landscape for yourself. Now with that being said lets dive in...


“HAVE YOU EVER BEEN HATED ON OR DISCRIMINATED AGAINST?? I HAVE …“-Eminem


Em's definitely been hated on for his race
at one time.

This is a very hot topic across the country and not just here in Columbus Ohio. Some would say that race does not play a part when it comes to entry upon Night clubs/bars. Or that these Clubs/Bars just consider dress codes at the door and not necessarily the Color or Ethnicity of a person.  Well I have seen it both ways directly. Please allow me to Explain. 


A very hot topic today is The Dress Code Issue. Some of you might be asking why it is an issue.  Well since Fashion is always evolving and is always going through many transformations, some  mindsets do not. I am talking about Stereotypes and the image that each race has. Since we all know negative stereotypes still exist today, one would think our responsibility as humanity would be to at least try and work on changing or modify our minds to accept things for how they are. INSTEAD of primarily trying to uniform our culture and decide what is “cool” or acceptable and what is not.

Would Lebron & his crew have
 issues?

Now, most clubs will not let “baggy clothes “in the establishments (which is understandable) however, my question is, is this more related to race? The stigma is the African American community primarily embraced this look of “baggy clothes”, but what is “too” baggy??


For instance, to a man in “skinny jeans”, Baggy may look like a “Relaxed” fit jean. It is really up to ones judgment.  Each club has its standard of what its' patrons should look like. But it seems like the stereotype is anyone in “baggy clothes” or clothes not up to the” fit standard” the club expects, are the ones that are the typical “trouble makers”. We can all agree that at times people make this assumption.  Personally I rarely ever have any issues, but here is something that I heard that made me sick to my stomach.

Audio push rocks that skinny
style.


One night I decided to go out and I’m casually minding my own biz, walking down the street to my bar of choice. All of a sudden, I pass a guy who was working the door at a certain establishment (that will remain anonymous). As I passed him, he pointed at me and proceeded to tell his co-worker “we don’t want people like that in here”. 



Chris "Drama" Pfaff rocks that
 skinny style as well



Witnessing this first hand seemed like a bad dream. I could not believe my ears! Here is the kicker, he was a black man! I became very confused at this point, because my outfit consisted of (a black H & M skull cap, Levis 511 SKINNY jeans, Premium Nike SB dunks,  an Alternative Apparel  hooded  shirt, all covered by a leather jacket.). This really bothered me because it goes back to the main topic of…Is it Race or is it strictly a matter what you are wearing??? I certainly know I am not the only one who has had a situation like this occur to them as well. Now I will not really say how I feel and take  Vengeance (because we are not about that at The Street Evol) but I am only pointing out something current and evident just to get the discussion going, and get people to pay more attention. So does Evol Lurk in Columbus's Nightlife? If it does it's Street Evol and we Need Street Love!



STREET EVOL IS STREET LOVE!


contact us!
Email: thestreetevol@gmail.com
Facebook.com/thestreetevol
Twitter @theStreetEvol

3 comments:

  1. i agree with everything thats was said... i have been apart of that same stereotype.... i was in the night club and the guy at the door didnt want me in there because i didnt "meet the dress code" i had on a semi fitting levi jean jacket a flip up padres hat semi fitting RL Polo Cargos and n some rockport boots he said that my hat was too straight but if its flipped up how is it too straight?? confused but i see others n there dressed the same but just of a different "background" but hey when in rome

    ReplyDelete